Thursday, May 7, 2009

Actual Conversations With Real People, Vol. 6

Today's Actual Conversation is a first...an email conversation. The participants are myself and a tech support representative from Roxio, which is now my most hated of all companies. To set the stage, I am writing about their Back On Track 3 software, which is meant to back up your hard drive in case it crashes. Enjoy!


WWW:
I am having trouble creating a Disaster Recovery backup with Back On Track 3. When I begin the Disaster Recovery backup, the program begins to work, and then freezes up partway through. Not only does the program stop working, but my entire computer locks up and I have to restart. I am running Windows XP Home and I am selecting my external HDD as the destination drive. Do you have any suggestions? I am at my wit's end.


Roxio:
Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support. You will not be able to use a [sic] external drive. You will need to use the computer harddrive [sic] for the destination drive.

Regards, Roxio Technical Support


WWW:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand your answer. I think I must be missing something. If I use the computer's hard drive as the destination drive, I am simply backing it up to itself...how does that protect me from disk failure?

Right now this product is useless to me and I am very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Roxio:
Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support.

Issue: How to backup your files using Easy Media Creator 10

Resolution: (Describes laborious procedure that is completely unrelated to my issue.)


WWW:
I'm sorry, but I have Back On Track 3, not Easy Media Creator 10. I also am not trying to do a routine backup, I am trying to create a Disaster Recovery file. I sense however that this is not in the cards because you don't have a pre-written script that fits my particular problem. Instead, I shall be requesting a prompt refund.


-Fin-



Ed. Note: I found out later through internet sleuthing that Roxio has halted sales of Back On Track 3 in light of a scathing review by PC Magazine that discovered the software is riddled with bugs.

13 metawords:

Cora said...

GRRRRRRR. I hate stuff like that!

This and calling Pakistan to fix issues with my cell phone... I can't understand what the hell they are saying and they can't understand me. WTF?

Anonymous said...

BITCHSLAP! They couldn't even get a real person to read your email? How cheap!

Anonymous said...

I love automatic responses that barely even relate to your query. And by "love" I mean, "Get totally homicidal and start sharpening utensils for improper practices." Idiots.

Soda and Candy said...

I think these conversations legally exempt you from prosecution for murder.

Falwless said...

Um that was not cool to change your address so quickly. At least leave the old one up with a link to the new one for a few weeks! Sheesh, don't you know anything about switching URLs?!

I refuse to even read this post!

words...words...words... said...

Y'all had 24 hours notice! None of these nice people who posted before you had a problem!

I was afraid that if I waited too long, then the web address I chose would get taken by someone else. I made sure it was available, posted about the change, and waited 24 nail-biting hours. So there!

Falwless said...

You should at least go start a "new" blog at untitledbloggerproject.blogspot.com and leave one post up there directing people here!

Soda and Candy said...

I belatedly created an award for you, please come get it!

Girl Interrupted said...

I had trouble finding you too ... but see, I tracked you down.

I am a stalker of the highest order.

Hope you're having a good weekend :)

Anonymous said...

I seeee yooou.

And by the way...how frustrating!! Grr Roxio.

Anonymous said...

BTW...you'll have to tell me how you were able to switch your entire blog to a new name.

~E said...

I had the same sort of issue with ACER to try to fix my webcam.

The convo ended when they wanted to charge me 75$ to diagnose my problem as it is out of warranty.

So I googled searched some stuff, and then gave it to my Tech friend to look at. and in 5 minutes it was fixed.

Stupid Acer.

Gwen said...

I apologize.

*hic*

To offset how angry I was getting with Roxio (DRINK!), I played the Roxanne game and did a shot of Red Bull and Vodka every time you said Roxio.

(DRINK!)

*falls over*